Monday, May 4, 2009

English 111 in retrospect

Upon entering English 111 this semester, I wasn't sure what to think. In high school I never wrote any more than two papers a year. I knew college was going to be different , but not to the extent that it has been for myself. During these past 16 weeks, I've typed more papers than I can ever remember completing in the past. OK, maybe that was a bit of a hyperbole but to say that college has been overwhelming for me is certainly an understatement. With all the stress of deadlines along with my constant procrastination, I didn't make it easy on myself. Instead of having a long thought out writing process in order to see improvement, I slacked off. I punished myself, by pulling off quite a few all nighters this semester only to see sub-par grades. Now don't get me wrong, when I turned in my work (which was usually last minute) I received decent grades. But, looking back on it now, I know that utilizing the revision process is critical to above and beyond success. I feel my instructor really opened my eyes to engaging the reader and correctly getting my point across through vivid imagery. I also learned to stray from redundant boring sentences. My ability to convey diversity along with my individuality aided towards the personal wants of the reader depending on my audience. I found joy in writing, just because I'm beginning to think on a broader scale as I mature. College has made me a smarter person because I have found interest in expanding my vocabulary and articulating myself to better communicate. Through this class I learned something about myself, sometimes I hated the work, but I always enjoyed the challenge. English 111 has in more than one way improved my social and writing skills for the better. I now enjoy the feeling of expressing myself intellectually in papers and in every day life like never before.

No comments:

Post a Comment